Over 2.6 million claims for Universal Credit have already been made
Universal Credit works differently from other benefits. The biggest differences are:
- You can get Universal Credit if you're unemployed, but also if you're working.
- You'll usually get a single payment each month, rather than weekly or fortnightly.
- Instead of getting a separate housing benefit, your rent will usually be paid directly to you as part of your monthly Universal Credit payment.
You might need to claim Universal Credit if:
Your employment status changes.
- A partner joins or leaves the household.
- You have a change in family circumstances.
- You start or stop being a carer.
- Your ability to work changes.
- You are asked to by the DWP.
Are you struggling to get to grips with Universal Credit?
Have you been told to make a claim but are not sure how?
Will you struggle to manage your money monthly?
Arun & Chichester Citizens Advice can help!
What we can offer:
If you live in the Arun & Chichester District, we now have a dedicated Universal Credit adviser who can help with:
- Making a claim
- Setting up an email address
- Assist with verifying process
- Logging in and updating your account
- Understanding payment advances
- Managing your money
- Alternative payment arrangements
- Finding sources of help to manage for the first month
- Benefit checks
- Preparing you for your work coach appointment
- Scanning and uploading documents
How do I get advice?
Bognor Regis & Chichester
Mon - Fri 10:00 – 16:30
Tue - Fri 10:00 – 16:30
Over the phone...
Adviceline: 0800 144 8 444
(from a mobile, call 03003 300 650)
Mon - Fri - 10.00 - 16:00
Click here for more information about our Home Visiting service.
For general information on Universal Credit see:
Free, confidential advice. Whoever you are.
We help people overcome their problems and campaign on big issues when their voices need to be heard.
We value diversity, champion equality, and challenge discrimination and harassment. We’re here for everyone.